triste vida la del carretero que anda por esos caƱaverales, sabiendo que su vida es un destierro, se alegra con sus cantares

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

a shocking calamity

Generally the iPod is quite good at dishing out pleasant surprises in the way it strings things together. Last night was not one such occasion.... as my bike and I wended through the streets of south Peckham (irrelevant detail just to show I can vaguely keep this on the south london topic) my soul was somewhere else (maybe already in Dulwich?), thanks to the slow movement of Beethoven's op.132 A minor quartet. I was literally halfway through the gossamer-smooth modulation from the first D major episode, and expecting to find myself again lost in the cosmic yearning of the F lydian music of the Heiliger Dankgesang (probably the first use of the lydian mode in "serious music" since the 16th century, and my God, what a use) when what happens? I must have leant on a button or something, because instead of that, I get The Heptones' Equal Rights ('hairy man has an equal right to live and be free'). I know, value-judgements are invidious and everything has its aesthetic context etc etc..... but...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home